Category: Community (Page 3 of 4)

“APD Not There To Diagnose” by Marion Crouse

Originally published in the Albuquerque Journal, August 15, 2011, as a letter to the editor.
Republished by permission of the author.

“APD Not There To Diagnose” by Marion Crouse

I am a member of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Many times at NAMI support groups, the Crisis Intervention Team unit of the Albuquerque Police Department is mentioned.

It is my understanding that the APD does all that it can to bring nonviolent people with mental illnesses to hospitals instead of to jail, and it is my understanding that the APD does all that it can, with the Crisis Intervention Team, to determine who has a mental illness and who, of these, is nonviolent.

I joined NAMI-Albuquerque in 1998 after having been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1997 while I was serving in the U.S. Navy. My purpose for joining NAMI was to seek support, to learn information about managing my mental illness, and to help reduce the stigma of mental illness on a larger scale.

My having schizophrenia does not alter my morals; I am still the same person as I was before I got sick.

For good or bad, having a mental illness does not change people’s hearts, although it can alter their minds.

So, if I do not wish to be judged as hostile simply for having schizophrenia, by the same token, if I were to commit a crime, I also could not be judged as peaceful simply because I have a mental illness. That’s a call the police would have to make in seconds, while they are approaching me to arrest me for any crime that I would be committing.

The police officers do not wish to become heroes for justice by dying in the line of duty. Unfortunately, sometimes the call “officer down” is made.

It is my opinion that it is not the responsibility of the APD to determine which criminal needs mental evaluation and which criminal is deemed legally sane when officers of the APD are threatened by an adult.

It is the duty of the APD to defend law-abiding society, and sometimes that means defending themselves.

Mental Health Response Advisory Committee (MHRAC) Meeting; July 19, 2016 – 5 PM to 7 PM – The Rock at NoonDay

What: MHRAC July 2016 Meeting
Where: The Rock at NoonDay, 2400 2nd St. NW, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87102
When: July 19, 2016 – 5 PM to 7 PM

Tonight, the Mental Health Response Advisory Committee is holding its July 2016 meeting. MHRAC is a group of community stakeholders dedicated to collaborating with the Albuquerque Police Department in developing training, procedures, and policies that promote positive and productive outcomes of peers and APD encounters.

MHRAC needs to hear from YOU. Peers, and their friends and families, are those community members who are directly affected by the work MHRAC is accomplishing, and these meetings open to the general public is where you can be involved in helping guide MHRAC and APD in addressing your issues, concerns and needs.

Last month, we had ten peers in the audience. DBSA Albuquerque would love to see even more of our faces in the crowd. It’d be great if you could attend, and it’d be great if you bring other peers, your families, and your friends. DBSA Albuquerque co-president Steve Bringe sits on MHRAC, so we have a very direct voice on the committee.

We hope to see you there!

AGENDA
Mental Health Response and Advisory Committee (MHRAC)
July 19, 2016
5:00-7:00 P.M.
2400 2nd Street NW (The Rock)
1. Welcome First Time Guests

2. Approval of June 2016 Minutes

3. Public Comment (two minutes per person, 15 minutes total)

4. Civnet Presentation (Charlie Wisoff)

5. Update from APD/CIU, Nils Rosenbaum

6. Information on Brian Settin’s meeting on AOT (Jim Ogle)

7. CASA Status Hearing Discussion

8. Open discussion and closing comments from Co-chairs

9. Next meeting, August 16, 2016

There will be no Monday Support Group on July 4, 2016

Greetings ABQeans!

DBSA Albuquerque will not be holding peer support groups on Monday, July 4, 2016, in celebration of the Independence Day holiday.

If you would like to attend a peer support group on Monday, July 4, NAMI Albuquerque Connection meets at 6:30 PM at the NAMI Albuquerque office near Menaul and San Pedro. DBSA Albuquerque co-president Steve Bringe will be co-facilitating the Connection group on Monday.

Our Monday support group will resume on Monday, July 11, at the regular time and place.

Happy 4th!

Mental Health Response Advisory Committee (MHRAC) – June 21, 2016 Meeting Agenda

Please join us at the June 2016 MHRAC Public Meeting at the Rock at Noon Day. DBSA Albuquerque Co-President Steve Bringe sits on MHRAC as a peer representative.

AGENDA
Mental Health Response and Advisory Committee (MHRAC)
June 21, 2016
5:00-7:00 P.M.
2400 2nd Street NW (The Rock)

1. Welcome First Time Guests

2. Approval of May 2016 Minutes

3. Public Comment (two minutes per person, 15 minutes total)

4. Replacing MHRAC member Ken Gilman

5. Update from APD/CIU, Nils Rosenbaum

6. Reverse drug buy bust arrests, David Ley, Eric Garcia

7. Update and discussion of SOP 3-29, Co-chairs

8. Update and discussion on UNM and APD MOU

9. Open discussion and closing comments from Co-chairs

10. Next meeting, July 18,

Laugh It Off: An excerpt from the new DBSA Albuquerque mental health education program

“Laugh It Off” is one of five new mental health education programs DBSA Albuquerque is offering, beginning this June with full roll out by September. We’ve given four presentations for “Laugh It Off” now, and I’ve been asked by a few folks to give an idea of what kind of jokes our comics are sharing.

I don’t have the go ahead from the other comics to share their material, so I’ll share one part of my set. Here goes.

There’s a group of peers in our community who don’t get a lot of recognition, and that’s kids growing up with a parent who has mental health issues.

I’ve got my own son, Scott, and he’s the greatest kid ever. Still, it was rough on him having to live with me as I struggled to get the bipolar stuff under wraps so I could be a parent to him.

Of course, sometimes it was a lot of fun for both of us. We’d play family games like “Cat vs. Electricity” and “Will Your Head Fit Here?”

And sometimes it wasn’t so great, like when I’d tell him that when the ice cream truck was playing music it meant they were out of ice cream.

My kid is smart. Even at 4 years old he knew enough that I was full of crap about the ice cream truck. And, he was his own form of sadist.

One morning, I woke up to take my meds, only I didn’t find my meds, I found big, melty wads of ice cream stuff into my med bottles instead.

My kid comes sauntering in, and he said to me:

“Dad, when you hear the ambulance siren screaming up the street to drag you off to the hospital it means you’re out of medication.”

If you would like more information about “Laugh It Off” and how to schedule a presentation, please contact Steve Bringe at 505-514-6750 or steve.bringe@dbsaalbuquerque.org

Join DBSA Albuquerque at the New Mexico Crisis & Access Line Health Fair this Saturday

Join DBSA Albuquerque at the
New Mexico Crisis & Access Line
Health Fair this Saturday

DBSA Albuquerque will be at the New Mexico Crisis and Access Line Health Fair this Saturday in Albuquerque.

Where: Explora in Old Town Albuqurque
1701 Mountain Rd. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
When: Saturday, May 14, 10 AM to 6 PM

The NMCAL Health Fair is an opportunity for our communities to learn and understand more about mental health and behavioral health, how it impacts our everyday lives and how it is seen in our everyday lives. DBSA Albuquerque is one of many organizations and agencies attending this Saturday.

Drop by our table and say howdy! We’ll have many peers from DBSA Albuquerque at our table throughout the day, and they’re excited to share more about themselves and our chapter with you.

The Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Albuquerque Chapter is a 501c3 volunteer organization.

DBSA Albuquerque in Santa Fe support group is back at the De Vargas Mall!

Download printable DBSA Albuquerque’s Santa Fe Flyer

Great news! Juan Geyer has returned from abroad and among his top priorities is getting our DBSA Santa Fe chapter and support group up and running for the peers of Northern New Mexico!

DBSA Albuquerque in Santa Fe is holding group at the De Vargas Mall Community Room.

Support group meets from 5:30 to 7:30 PM every Thursday.

There is easy parking and entrance at rear of mall, next to Traveler’s Market.

There is dedicated accessible parking and accessible first floor entrance.

DBSA Albuquerue’s
DBSA support group in Santa Fe is 100% Confidential.

For more information, contact Juan at:

505-501-2721
info@dbsasantafe.org
info@dbsaalbuquerque.org

Juan is all geared up to make this the best peer support group in Northern New Mexico. We hope you find your way to DBSA Santa Fe support group.

Download printable DBSA Santa Fe Flyer

DBSA Albuquerque Book Club Starts This Week

Hey Fellow DBSA members!

Do you love to read? Are you interested in Sci-fi? Mystery? Murder? Fantasy?

Join DBSA Book Club!

Book Club meetings are the last Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm.

Meetings will be held at Rasma Cox’s home:

1402 Columbia Dr. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106

Please come if you are able.

DBSA Albuquerque Resources Page – Let Us Know You’re Out There!

Howdy, Greater Albuquerque Metropolitan Area and New Mexico Communities!

We’re currently completely overhauling our chapter website, and a big part of the upgrade is getting our Resources page current and extensive.

So, if you have a website you believe would benefit the community, send it along for inclusion on the DBSA Albuquerque website. There is a review process with the DBSA Albuquerque board, and we accept pretty much all submissions we receive.

Also, if you feel like linking to DBSA Albuquerque, that would be way excellent. Here is our contact info:

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Albuquerque Chapter
DBSA Albuquerque
dbsaalbuquerque.org
info@dbsaalbuquerque.org
505 288 1322

Monday peer support group
The Coffee Shop
700 2nd St. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
From 2 PM to 4 PM

Thursday peer support group
Heights Community Center
823 Buena Vista Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
From 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM
DBSA Albuquerque Book Club meets from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM

DBSA Albuquerque launches Albuquerque’s first peer-led Book Club

Good news for bibliophiles! DBSA Albuquerque is holding a monthly book club meeting the last Tuesday of every month, the first peer-led book club of this type and scope offered in the Greater Albuquerque Metropolitan Area.

Members can be peers, families and friends, and other individuals who find helpful camaraderie in entertainment that fosters understanding and compassion. The DBSA Albuquerque Book Club is free of charge for all members.

The first DBSA Albuquerque Book Club meeting is on Tuesday, April 26, 2016, from 7 PM to 9 PM.

The first book for members is “Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert A. Heinlein.

Contact Rasma Cox, DBSA Albuquerque Book Club committee chair, for more information.

Rasma Cox
505-239-4704
rasma.cox@dbsaalbuquerque.org

« Older posts Newer posts »
STAND UP TO STIGMA: Mental Health Support Groups & Community Education